Human Made is looking for a Senior Cloud Engineer to join its Cloud Team. The role is fully remote but you should be based in the Asia-Pacific region (APAC). Please see our other job openings for jobs in other regions.
As a Senior Cloud Engineer at Human Made you should have a thorough understanding of running LEMP-based applications on Amazon Web Services at scale. WordPress is used across all projects at Human Made, so you should be able to architect complex infrastructure solutions that cater to it. You will be required to create and modify solutions that support various client architectures and environments.
You should have a strong familiarity with the infrastructural needs and behaviours of WordPress. This would include security practices, caching, and performance considerations. You should have a good knowledge of Amazon Web Services, Linux systems, WordPress, MySQL, and caching systems in general.
You should be familiar with the tools required for troubleshooting and orchestrating Amazon Web Services infrastructure. This would typically include a good understanding of CloudFormation, Terraform, Git, Linux, PHP configuration, JSON, development environments, and general computer maintenance and security.
Experience and understanding of continuous integration tools and containerisation technologies, such as Docker and ECS, is an advantage.
As a Cloud Team member, you will be on-call during working hours for any site availability issues that arise. You should be a good, professional communicator when providing client support in the event of site outages or other issues affecting availability or maintenance. You’ll be responsible for either directly solving or coordinating support issues while you are on-call.
Knowledge of WordPress code best practices relating to performance and security is an advantage, as this will allow you to contribute to code reviews.
Human Made is a remote company which means that you need to be able to work both independently and as part of a remote team. Good communication skills are essential to be successful in the job. You should be able to prioritise your work and meet any deadlines, communicating any problems upstream along the way.
You should be prepared to learn new technologies, frameworks or software when required. These could be outside of your engineering comfort zone. You are expected to have a can-do attitude when tackling new technical challenges, working with team-wide decisions that may not be your own and dealing with client relationship frustrations.
The responsibilities and expectations of a Senior Cloud Engineer are not necessarily tied exclusively to your own tasks. While you will need to apply your skills to each task you are assigned to, you are also expected to set a similar example when interacting with any other team members for meta-level tasks. This could be cross-project code review, helping others debug problems, or offering advice and architectural guidance to other projects.
As a senior engineer you should lead by example when working on projects, giving critical feedback via code review to peers, and respecting other engineering decisions. Your broad experience may mean you have strong preferences for technical decisions. It’s both your responsibility to voice concerns about technical decisions being made as well as having the distance and maturity to accept decisions made by the team.
- Modifying, testing and deploying changes to infrastructure
- Troubleshooting infrastructure issues
- Regular communication with both your team and the rest of the company
- Reporting technical system performance, maintenance, and outage issues to clients for both technical and non-technical audiences
- Being available for “on-call” support duties during your working hours
- Performing code reviews
- Take ownership at a project level for not only your own work, but work that interacts or impacts your own
- Assisting other engineers on your team when asked for assistance
- Carry out bug fixes and debugging not only in your own work, but others on your projects; no bug should be too obscure!
- Take an active role in improving tooling, code, and communication whether directly on a current project or assisting others on their projects.
- Remain informed on best practices within the industry
- Proactively address technical issues as they arise
- Consistently be pushing for performance and security considerations and improvements
- Provide useful architectural input and feedback for whole systems, drawing on knowledge of DevOps fundamentals, other cloud computing paradigms or frameworks
- Work with stakeholders and their expectations, navigating the relationship and taking ownership of stakeholder satisfaction
- Write technical documentation for project architecture and decisions
- Familiarity with Amazon Web Services, particularly services relating to high-availability web infrastructure and containerisation. For example, EC2, RDS, ElastiCache, ALB, S3, Lambda, VPC, CloudFront, Security Groups, IAM, ASG, ECS, and ECR
- Comfortable working from a Linux command-line
- Good at problem-solving and troubleshooting
- Comfortable with version control systems
- Experience with orchestration tools and contributing to existing infrastructure-as-code
- Ability to automate tasks
- Ability to use and modify CloudFormation and Terraform templates
- Familiarity with running WordPress (or comparable LEMP-based applications) at scale
- Familiarity with Docker and containerisation
- In-depth understanding of performance considerations
- In-depth understanding of security considerations
- Ability to architect complex subsystems
- Comprehensive understanding of Amazon Web Services (may be further developed on the job)
- Salary range: $80 – $110,000 AUD (or local equivalent)
- Flexible working
- 52 weeks parental leave
- 35 days holiday (including public holiday)
- Sickness and carers leave
- Annual company retreat (previous retreats: Sri Lanka, Italy, Slovakia, Spain, Norway)
- Conference and training budget
- Monthly remote working allowance
- Work wherever you want
- New computer and mobile phone
- Office equipment when you need it
Visit the job adverts to complete the application and send it in along with your CV.