Who is Human Made?
Human Made creates websites, applications, and digital experiences for globally recognised brands all over the world. You will be joining a company of around 70 people, distributed across 16 countries. We are a diverse group of humans who love to work remotely and who are always seeking ways that we can improve.
Human Made is a remote company: this means you will need to work both independently and as part of a remote team. You will have the opportunity to meet the rest of the company at our annual company meetup, and with members of the rest of your team at least once a year.
We care about good communication and you should be able to prioritise your work and meet deadlines, discussing any problems with the team along the way. You can learn more about Human Made and what you can expect working here in our public company handbook.
You should be a fully qualified accounting technician (AAT) or or part-qualified (CIMA/ACCA/ or equivalent). You should be someone who thrives in a dynamic environment and who is able to work across multiple contexts. You should be able to use a wide range of financial accounting tools, but also be familiar with online tools such as Google Docs, Sheets, and Xero. Experience of remote work and/or working at a digital agency is a distinct advantage.
You should have 5 years of experience of working in a UK corporate accounting environment. While we also operate in the US and Australia you are not expected to be familiar with US and Australian accountancy legislation and practice but will be expected to learn on the job.
As a remote worker, you should be a self-starter, able to motivate yourself and prioritise your tasks. We operate with a high level of trust in all employees, and focus on your outputs rather than the how, when, and where you do your work. Communication is an essential part of this role so you should be an excellent communicator, particularly in text-based communication and video conferencing. You should be comfortable communicating with people across cultures and at different levels of the company.
As a Finance Manager at Human Made you will be responsible for the day-to-day financial management, administration, and processes in the company.
You will be responsible for regular financial processes and reporting in the company, including daily bank reconciliations and reconciliation of the company balance sheets, preparing and posting monthly accruals, prepayments and other accounting entries, and monitoring the day to day financial operations within the company. You will work with the Business Operations Manager to calculate WiP, reconciling the actual invoicing between our tools. You should use your experience to contribute to the improvement and streamlining of these processes.
You will be responsible for VAT and HMRC processes in the UK and their equivalents in the US and Australia. You will prepare monthly reports for our entities in the UK, Australia, and the USA, as well as the consolidated reports. In the case of annual external audits for statutory reporting, you will be the first point of contact for the auditors.
You will be responsible for payroll across the company, including the UK, US, and Australia, and paying our contractors. In addition to payroll, you will be responsible for processing and paying expenses claims, and monitoring expenses requests as they come in to make sure that they are approved by the correct people or processes.
You will contribute to the financial planning of the company, including the quarterly business planning process and assisting with Financial Planning and Analysis when required. You should continually identify any risks to finance, proposing effective solutions when necessary.
You will be a member of the Operations Team, reporting directly to the Finance Director and working closely with the Business Operations Manager.
- Be responsible for payroll, VAT and HMRC processes and their US and Aus equivalents
- Monitor the day-to-day financial operations within the company, such as payroll, AP processing, expenses and other transactions
- Maintain daily bank reconciliations
- Prepare and post monthly accruals, prepayments and similar accounting entries
- Work with the Business Ops Manager to calculate WiP on a monthly basis, reconciling the actual invoicing in the finance system with our agency management tools
- Prepare monthly reports for Human Made Ltd, Human Made Inc, and Human Made Pty Ltd and the three combined
- Own the reconciliation of the company balance sheets
- Manage the audit process acting as the first point of contact for external auditors
- Deal with working capital management and production of cash flow forecasts
- Continually identify risks to finance, propose solutions where necessary and effectively manage stakeholder expectations throughout
- Assist with FP&A (Financial Planning and Analysis) when required
- Be a key contributor to the quarterly Business Planning process
- 5 years work experience in a UK corporate accounting environment
- Fully qualified accounting technician (AAT) or at least part-qualified (CIMA/ACCA or similar)
- Experience of working in a similar sized fast growing business
- +/- 4 hrs UTC (to ensure good overlap with the UK)
- Experience in US/Australian accountancy knowledge
- Experience of Digital Agency and/or Digital Subscription businesses
- Experience of simple Group Consolidations
- Experience of Xero and Expensify
- Remote work experience
- Salary range: £35,000 – £45,000 GBP or local equivalent
- Flexible working
- 52 weeks parental leave
- 35 days holiday (including public holiday)
- Sickness and carers leave
- Annual company retreat (previous retreats: Sri Lanka, Italy, Slovakia, Spain, Norway)
- Conference and training budget
- Monthly remote working allowance
- Work wherever you want
- New computer and mobile phone
- Office equipment when you need it
Visit the job advert to complete the application and send it in along with your CV.