What does an Engineer at Human Made do?
Engineers at Human Made work on enterprise-level projects for clients across the globe. Past and current clients include big media agencies, financial organisations, charities and not-for-profits, and other enterprise companies. You will be working on technically-complex client projects with a team of experienced Engineers and Project Managers from around the world.
What do you need from me?
You should be familiar with the tools required for development projects. This includes a good understanding of Git, conflict resolution, local development environments, PHP configuration, following coding standards and general computer maintenance and security.
As a remote employee you will need to work both independently and as part of a remote team. You will have the opportunity to meet the rest of the company at our annual company meetup, and with members of the rest of your team at least once a year. We care about good communication and you should be able to prioritise your work and meet deadlines, discussing any problems with the team along the way.
Who is Human Made?
Human Made is a remote web development agency with employees across the world. We work with clients in publishing and enterprise to deliver world-class WordPress websites and applications. Current and past clients include NewsUK, USA Today, TechCrunch, Snopes, Encompass Health, Capgemini, and Fairfax.
What will I be doing?
The responsibilities of Web Engineers include:
- Planning and implementing features
- Refactoring code and carrying out bug fixes
- Working with other developers on your team and your project manager
- Delivering work on time and according to specifications
- Regular communication with both your team and the rest of the company
- Ability to prioritise tasks and to communicate issues to your team
- Communicate effectively with the team if you are struggling or need guidance on assigned tasks
- Interact with clients in a professional and respectful way
Senior Web Engineers have the additional responsibilities of:
- Take ownership at a project level for not only your own work, but work that interacts or impacts your own
- Assisting other developers on your team when asked for assistance
- Carry out bug fixes and debugging not only in your own work, but others on your projects; no bug should be too obscure!
- Take an active role in improving tooling, code, and communication whether directly on a current project or assisting others on their projects.
- Remain informed on development best practices within the industry
- Proactively address technical issues as they arise
- Consistently be pushing for performance and security considerations and improvements
- Provide useful architectural input and feedback for whole systems, drawing on knowledge of CS fundamentals, other programming paradigms or frameworks
- Work with clients and their expectations, navigating the relationship and taking ownership of client satisfaction
- Write technical documentation for project architecture and decisions
Web Engineers should have the following skills:
- Good understanding of WordPress (may be developed on the job)
- Ability to debug your own code and that of others
- Experience in using debugging tools
- Strong understanding of HTML5 & CSS
- Experience in versioning technologies such as Git
- Knowledge of interacting with RESTful APIs
- Ability to set up local development environments
- Strong written communication skills
- Ability to manage your workload and juggle multiple tasks
Senior Web Engineers are expected to have the following additional skills:
- In-depth understanding of performance considerations
- In-depth understanding of security considerations
- Ability to architect complex subsystems
- Comprehensive understanding of WordPress (may be developed on the job)
As your potential employer, we want you to know we value equal opportunities and diversity. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Send us an email at email@example.com with a link to your GitHub profile (if available), a copy of your CV, and anything else you think will support your application. We look forward to hearing from you!